Author Topic: Tornado Booster quality??  (Read 6038 times)

Offline johndunlap1

Tornado Booster quality??
« on: December 20, 2011, 11:34:01 AM »
I received my new Tornado Booster last week.  First of all, I must say that I love the performance of it. 

My issue with it though is the quality of the construction.  When I first screwed on the tank atomizer, I noticed the insert with the voltage adjuster knob, turned with the atomizer and I needed to hold it to tighten the atomizer.  Now after a few days use, I noticed the atomizer was not sitting straight on the booster and after inspection, realized the part with the knob is starting to pop out of the booster.  Lightly pulling end to end on the e-cig, the part with the knob easily pulls out 1/4 inch or more.  I would assume that there are wired connections attached internally and twisting and pulling would break them.  It still functions fine, but was curious if this was the norm?

Any input or similar experience???

Can I just pull it out and add some super glue to hold it in place?

Thanks in advance for any input...

Offline ean33

• i love this place the people are second to none it
Re: Tornado Booster quality??
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 11:49:04 AM »
mines like that and i was told to register it with artisan and they will replace it under warranty
i did and they did just call customer services
the super glue works but will viod the warranty
to be pedantic if you want legally your contract is not with artisan its with t.w and its there legal responsibility to replace or repair the item
if you wanted to go down that road it was sold by them and the maker artisan is not in the contract its a 3rd party
hope that makes sense

Offline johndunlap1

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 12:33:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Glad to know it's not just me.  Registered my product and will contact Artisan vaping shortly.

Offline 8Ball

• NickFish
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 03:46:35 PM »
I think TW's been good about taking care of this for you if you like (seem to recall reading a post or two of this nature)... might be faster if you go through Artisan though, and I understand they've been good about taking care of any of these problems (and you're not the only one to experience this john).  I guess in this case it doesn't really mater who's "legally responsibility" it is to make this right if either party is willing to take care of it.... but that's a good point ean.  When I first heard most people were being directed to contact Artisan for support with issues I was a little apprehensive.  Once I heard they were responding well to customer issues, and then saw that TW would be involved as well, I quit worrying about it ( :-\ not that I was losing any sleep anyway ( :-\ well, not over this anyway :D)).
Nick

Offline hachieroger

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 08:25:06 PM »
The folks at Artisan are great!  I managed to break my booster so I inquired about replacement parts so I could try to fix it...they sent me a new booster even though it was my bad.  Fyi, these are assembled by the designer and his wife (which I thought was pretty cool)...very nice people!

Offline blindsoup

• SR Atty -Tornado Booster mixed with PR American Red Tobacco = :)
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 09:00:28 PM »
I received my new Tornado Booster last week.  First of all, I must say that I love the performance of it. 

My issue with it though is the quality of the construction.  When I first screwed on the tank atomizer, I noticed the insert with the voltage adjuster knob, turned with the atomizer and I needed to hold it to tighten the atomizer.  Now after a few days use, I noticed the atomizer was not sitting straight on the booster and after inspection, realized the part with the knob is starting to pop out of the booster.  Lightly pulling end to end on the e-cig, the part with the knob easily pulls out 1/4 inch or more.  I would assume that there are wired connections attached internally and twisting and pulling would break them.  It still functions fine, but was curious if this was the norm?

Any input or similar experience???

Can I just pull it out and add some super glue to hold it in place?

Thanks in advance for any input...

Would you please post a picture? I am not sure I understand, and I would like to inspect my booster. Thanks much...
"I love this COMMUNITY!"

Offline drahcir

• meganado passthru, clearos, tanks
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 10:08:11 PM »
The first one I had the whole thread post came out and the second one I had dropped and now it mega boosted it to over 6v. Don't know how but it did. Even had the electricians at work test it to make sure I was using the multimeter right. I m not going to get another one until artisan vaping comes out with the all in one model I saw on there site. Which means the bat and booster are one unit
. Maybe TW will pick this one up from them when it comes out. I sure hope so. But a part of me says no dont do it I have to many shinny things
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 10:10:12 PM by drahcir »

deja moo -the feeling  that you've heard someones BullSh!t before.
Life is like a roller coaster it has it's ups and downs and sometimes throws you fpr a loop than it  stops

Offline MasterofChaos

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 03:56:18 PM »
John,

Don't worry if you have an issue with the Booster, all you have to do is contact Artisan Vaping and they will send you a new one.

The Booster comes with a six month warranty.  The difference in dealing with Artisan (as opposed to products made in China) is that
they (the manufacturer) make the unit and stand behind it.  Warranties for stuff made in China are usually a vendor warranty, since the manufacturer doesn't
replace defective units, its the vendor (in this case TW) who decides to stand behind the product.

Oh, and just FYI, the return rate for the Booster is about 3%, which I am told is similar to products from the JoyeTech factory.  I've pulled the
connector out of the tube of an eGo battery many times, it really is a weakness in the design of the eGo, per se, not necessarily the Booster.

Offline MasterofChaos

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 04:10:04 PM »
And Drahcir,

If your Booster broke, just contact Artisan!  They will send you a new one.  I won't cost you any money for them to send
it to you.  You don't even have to pay for shipping!

Also, if you want to try to glue a broken Booster together in the meantime (while you are waiting for a replacement), go ahead.  It won't
violate the warranty.

Offline drahcir

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 05:40:45 PM »
I didnt even have to send the first on back they sent me a new one no questions but will they send me a new one because I droped it and it mega boost now. sent sheila an email lets see what they say.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 05:47:25 PM by drahcir »

Life is like a roller coaster it has it's ups and downs and sometimes throws you fpr a loop than it  stops

Offline MasterofChaos

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 07:07:59 PM »
Drahcir,

I guarantee that you'll get a replacment!  As long as you registered your original Booster (and are nice about it) you will definitely get a new one.

And you won't have to send it back or anything.

Offline drahcir

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 08:43:42 PM »
Iam always nice when dealing with CS. How else are you supposed to get help. You yell and scream and send nasty emails now that gets you no where. and the person didn't break it. I don't think I will here back until next week because of the holidays. And of course I registered it with them. Thank you for your help.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:39:18 PM by ADMIN »

Offline drahcir

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 12:17:02 AM »
yup just got an email saying they will send me out a new one. I love this place. They are really trust worthy because you don't have to send back the broken one to prove it. I m not going to abuse it because they are such a great place. Great job TW on getting with this place. They have the TW mentality when it comes to CS

Offline glinja

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 11:43:44 AM »
I've had two break now, and I'm awaiting the postman.
Artisan are very good and easy to deal with, I just wish I didn't have to :(
Would I recommend them?
Yes, it's a good product, just a tad flawed

Offline johncellario

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 03:26:57 PM »
I've had a replacement sent...the first one, the housing kept coming apart, the base coming apart from the main body but as it was still attached by wiring, I could just insert the two back together again. The new one arrived with no problem and I was intrigued to see the value of goods Artisan had attributed to the Booster to go through customs...$10! That's quite a profit mark-up.

Offline StevieD

• Totally Wicked Review Panelist
  • Elite Hero Member
  • My friends call me Modo
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 06:07:12 PM »
I've had a replacement sent...the first one, the housing kept coming apart, the base coming apart from the main body but as it was still attached by wiring, I could just insert the two back together again. The new one arrived with no problem and I was intrigued to see the value of goods Artisan had attributed to the Booster to go through customs...$10! That's quite a profit mark-up.
It also saves you from having to pay VAT on it.

Offline johndunlap1

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 04:20:10 PM »
Dec 20: emailed warranty registration to Sheila. -no response for registration
Dec 23: emailed Brian per the website
Dec 23: Brian responds telling me to email Sheila.  -not sure why the email couldn't be forwarded from their end.
Dec 27: I finally got around to forwarding the email to Sheila. -got instant, I'm away for the holiday, please email Brian message.  I chose to just wait.
Jan 13: Received email from Brian saying they couldn't find my warranty registration.  Email said to resubmit to Sheila.
Jan 14: Forwarded the original Dec 20 and 23rd emails to Sheila.
Jan 23: Still no response.  I emailed Sheila asking for a status update.  Got instant response saying they shipped a replacement on Jan 14 and to expect it in 10-14 days.  I wish they had sent a status update when they shipped it. 

I have not made it to the post office since Monday morning, but no booster as of then.  I will try to make it this evening and update accordingly.

I can understand "some" of the delays, but to not get updated that an item shipped is unacceptable in my book.  I'm glad others have had better experiences and must say, I by no means would say this was terrible, but I personally will avoid business with them in the future if at all possible.

Offline bumpeez

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 01:48:59 PM »
Same thing happened to me so I emailed Totally Wicked and they had me a new one in 2 days. Had to send them a picture and that was it..Excellent Service.

Offline RichJr

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Hero Member
  • 😇
    • TW Forum Rules
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 02:03:56 PM »
I you bought it from TW, artisan wants you to go through TW for any problems.

I do everything with my iPhone. Totally Wicked way of life.

Offline johndunlap1

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 02:38:10 PM »
I did finally receive a new one...It's working good, so I'm happy again!

Offline ean33

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 04:17:48 PM »
Artisan are very good and second to none in service, dont get me wrong i really like them, the problem is the fault on them (boosters) is common and with the torpedo coming out i cant see the point of them any more
the issue i would have is if it broke again i would want a refund as its now surplus to requirements, the other problem is i live in the uk and have to wait 3 weeks for delivery from canada
so a refund would be better, now if i bought it from t.w my contract is with t.w and artisan are a 3rd party in uk law, it is t.w's responsibility to repair,replace or refund

strictly speaking if i was told by t.w to deal directly with artisan (the manufacture) i could legally refuse as it is not whom i have a contract with

saying all that t.w and artisan are handling this situation pretty well and if it works it works

my personal feeling is the products great but flawed, the overall length of the ego will always mean the booster is a weak point, all it takes is a knock on the end and it will stress the joint making the band and sleeve de-laminate
its a shame because its a great bit of kit and artisan are fantastic to deal with   

if mine does break agin i would not want a replacement, but it wont break because i wont use it now i have the better (imo) torpedo

Offline MasterofChaos

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 06:39:17 PM »

The $10 has nothing to do with the price of the unit.  Its just the value for customs and since its a return, it really has no value.  Artisan is just trying to save you some duty, etc.

Offline lordy

• Steve
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 07:05:43 PM »
I've had my booster for around 6 months. I don't use it all the time but for a while, the whole top's been loose.

I think it was from carrying a fully assembled unit in my coat pocket. When I first got it, it was perfect. Then I noticed the whole ecig looked 'bent', then that's when I noticed that the top had come loose in the same way you describe.

Despite this it's still absolutely fine. I've never pulled it out further and if ever it lifts slightly I just firmly push it back and it's fine. Being honest I'm tempted to glue it. It's the main sticking point (well, not sticking... you know what I mean) that I see repeatedly reported and if a bit of superglue sorts it out that's fine with me.

Offline ean33

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 07:16:05 PM »
i have super glued mine and its fine mate
i wont use it much now any way but its there if i need it

Offline RichJr

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Hero Member
  • 😇
    • TW Forum Rules
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2012, 02:06:41 PM »
I love this booster. I have so many tornado batteries the booster was a MUST for me. When I finally get through all these darn tornados (and a few nice titans), I can pass my booster on to my wife and order me one of those sparkling VVV's! I love my godly 900mAh passthrough - booster - eGo-C. The VVV is bigger! Heaven.

I do everything with my iPhone. Totally Wicked way of life.

Offline SeanB53

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 11:09:43 PM »
A friend Accidently over turned the knob to my booster. It would turn a bit more than normal so I decided to open it up and fix it my self. The knob is actually not attached to the small dial inside the booster the knob works like a small flat head screwdriver to turn the dial. That being said it can easily come out of place if over tighted. The knob is only being held to the dial by a small plastic strip that locks it in place and can easliy be removed. I recomind to anyone that might attempt to fix the problem their self to be very careful not to damage the wires soldered onto the Circuit board.
Sean Bassler

Offline Jon9ball

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2012, 10:03:47 AM »
I had a problem with mine in that the metal inner came away from the housing. I just used an epoxy and it's stuck on good now.

The twisty dial did break though recently and now I think its just stuck at the top voltage setting.