Author Topic: Tornado batteries  (Read 2109 times)

Offline madkitty

Tornado batteries
« on: January 23, 2012, 07:17:02 AM »
Is it safe to leave them charging overnight - will the charge cut off or will doing this too often kill the battery?

Offline SMOKEYMASTER

Re: Tornado batteries
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 07:25:45 AM »
The charger unit I have, which plugs into the wall, automatically stops charging after the battery is fully charged.  I have left mine overnight on the charging station and they all work just fine.

Offline Horsemen

• U.S. Army Medic 1968-1971- May We Never Forget!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 07:27:13 AM »
Have been leaving my tornado batteries on the charger until needed for over a year now with no ill effects

Even A Broken Clock Works Twice A Day!!!!

Offline blindsoup

• SR Atty -Tornado Booster mixed with PR American Red Tobacco = :)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 07:30:31 AM »
mine charge overnight...every night - no issues as of yet...
"I love this COMMUNITY!"

Offline cyborg

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 08:42:27 AM »
I also charge overnight...every night so I think by all the other post you can rest assured its safe. ;)
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED Smiley" border="0

Offline jeffj4873

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 11:33:32 AM »
Does charging everynight weaken the battery?? Kinda like on a cell phone, does the battery need to be fully exercised?(till it runs low on power)

Offline newbidoux

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 11:36:20 AM »
I would reckon it does!
I am absolutely not sure about this one but I heard putting them in the freezer helps keep them for longer. Which contrasts to what a friend of mine told me few years ago when skiing: always charge your mobile, cold gets the battery to die sooner.

Can anyone confirm any of these two things?

Offline StevieD

• Elite Hero Member
  • My friends call me Modo
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 12:13:34 PM »
Tornado batteries are Lithium Ion batteries and do not have any 'charge memory' issues, unlike earlier types of rechargeable batteries, so it really doesn't matter if you recharge them when they are half empty or wait until they cut out completely, there will be no adverse effects on the battery life. Storing batteries is a bit different... if you plan to store them for long periods without using them then it is best to have them partially charged (40-50% charge is, I believe, the best level) and keeping them cool will allow them to be stored with minimal degradation. Keeping a fully charged battery stored for an extended period it will lose capacity, again, if I remember rightly, about 20% capacity lost if stored for a year fully charged.

Darth Vaper

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 12:20:20 PM »
Charging overnight does not weaken Tornado batteries. I would avoid placing E-cig batteries in the freezer as extreme temperatures will harm them.... so will any condensation that develops  Leaving in the car on a hot summer day is bad too.

When the light goes green on the charger.... all charging ends and is turned off.

Freezing batteries is something some people do to reset Laptop batteries but they have charge counter circuits that will stop them from being used more then 300 times. From what I understand on some them it will get around the counter and reset it.  If you have ever seen a laptop explode and catch fire you would understand how dangerous of an endeavor that can be.

Stevie snuck in there while I was posting but yeah keeping them in a cool place is fine for storage..... freezing I would avoid.

Offline Lettie22

• Paulette
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 12:30:41 PM »
Stevie and Darth snuck in there while I was searching for a thread I read a couple nights ago on this.   I never did find it, but I did find this thread that is very informative on charging, storing,etc. on batteries.   Some times I just have such a hard time on the search engine, cause if you don't know the exact words used -- you'll never find it!

http://forum.totallywicked-eliquid.com/general-e-smoking-discussions/battery-care-13390/

Offline StevieD

• Elite Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 12:52:08 PM »
Further to Darth's post.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pizFsY0yjss

Darth Vaper

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 01:44:50 PM »
That vid pretty much sums it up.

Treat you batteries with care and they will take care of you.

Treat them with disregard and poorly..... they will retaliate

Avoid extreme temperatures  ;)
That little warning mumbo jumbo that comes with electronic devices is there for a reason.

Offline Rabidrabbit

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 09:42:12 PM »
Im totally new and just got my first kit in the mail today, I've used it just twice today so far. So sorry if I sound silly here........ :P

In relation to the batteries and this article I have a question.

I notice as I am using the unit it does seem to get warm. I imagine that is normal, but do they ever get hot to the point I should not use it? Is that a worry to have or no? And is it actually the battery that is getting warm or another part of the unit? I have no idea.........

Offline jeffj4873

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 10:10:59 PM »
It shouldn't get hot. Even my low resistance doesn't get hot just warm. ( I use the DCT with a 1.5 olm cartomiser rather than a 3 olm).

Offline StevieD

• Elite Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 12:51:57 PM »
Hiya Rabidrabbit, depending on what type of e-cig/atty you are using and where the heat is, it is probably nothing whatever to worry about.... eGo-C atty's get almost uncomfortably hot right over the atty head if chain vaped. If the warmth is from the atty, not a problem as there is a heating coil in there... if however it is the battery itself getting hot then disconnect it and do not use it or re-charge it.

Offline Rabidrabbit

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 01:42:38 PM »
ok...yea it got hot because my cart wasnt creating vapor so i kept holding the button on it. finally i just put in a new cart, its working fine, and doesn't seem to be getting warm now.

guess it was a beginner issue..... :P

Offline jeffj4873

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 02:59:03 PM »
What happened to me lately, My cart melted the center breathing tube so it couldn't draw. Much more heat and you will burn the heating element in the cart. Did that also yesterday. I think it can happen pretty easily if the cart is not wet enough with fluid. I have lost 2 carts in 3 weeks. If the wire burns or breaks you will not longer create any vape or heat

Unable to load the 'forum.totallywicked-eliquid.com_below' template.