Author Topic: Taking E-Cigs on Airplanes  (Read 26917 times)

Offline Gstyle2e3

Taking E-Cigs on Airplanes
« on: December 08, 2009, 05:34:23 PM »
Hey all,new to the forums,been vaping for about 6months now and was wondering if anyone's tried passing through airport security with their e-cigs.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 04:10:49 PM by caz »

Offline moog

• Elite Member
Re: Taking E-Cigs on Airplanes
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 05:46:23 PM »
Welcome to the forum..... :)

Offline Minna (Pam)

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 06:18:29 PM »
Hi and welcome!   :)

I going to be flying to California to be with my daughter and her family for the Christmas Holidays so I'm going to pack up a little box to ship out there before I go.  Some liquid and a few extra batteries, charger,etc. I'll disassemble my SD and put it in with my computer gear til I get through security.  I just don't want to risk taking the extra liquid and batts and such through security.  I'll probably be too chicken to vape on the plane though.... :-\

Offline prof beard

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 03:20:39 PM »
When I travel I have in my briefcase with my computer stuff:

Charger for screwdriver batteries

Two Screwdriver batteries

Two spare attys

Two bottles of juice (in the plastic "liquids bag")

In my jacket I have:

Screwdriver fully assembled
Spare atty
Spare battery

I put my jacket through the scanner with briefcase etc

I have, like this, gone through security at the following airports:

Birmingham
Manchester
Belfast
Schiphol
Frankfurt
Genoa
Pisa
Porto
Barcelona
Charles de Gaulle
Montreal
Chicago
JFK
Newark
Philadelphia
Houston
Austin
Long Beach
Phoenix
San Francisco

I have NEVER had even a comment.

I won't slave for beggar's pay, likewise gold and jewels, but I would slave to learn the way to sink your ship of fools

Offline kitsune(Lisa)

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 03:30:38 PM »
The Prof is far more traveled than I am, but I have flown from Denver to California and Hawaii without problem.  I put the liquid in the quart baggie, a couple assembled 510's in my purse (look like Pens), the rest I have in my case logic usb case and an altoid tin (works great)--I usually keep these and my chargers/electronics in my backpack or carryon.  I have never had a problem.
vaping in the bathroom works well too--no it won't set off the smoke alarm.

hope you have a great trip
happy vaping

BTW--Welcome

spiraller

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 03:36:06 PM »
Thanks for that prof, that's invaluable advice... hope you didn't mind that I've just written it into the FAQ, as the airport issue is such a common one... your well-travelled advice will help a great many people :)

Offline prof beard

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 03:42:56 PM »
No problem with that - glad to help
I won't slave for beggar's pay, likewise gold and jewels, but I would slave to learn the way to sink your ship of fools

Offline Epedemic

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 11:15:56 AM »
vaping in the bathroom works well too--no it won't set off the smoke alarm.

Don't take this for granted. Enough vapour WILL set off a smoke alarm, both optical and radioactive.... I lost a bet with my brother on this subject... Fortunately at home and not on a plane ;)

But unless you hit the smoke alarm dead on with multiple lungfuls of vapour chances are you will be fine unless they are calibrated at ridiculous sensibility.

Offline spacecityazn

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 06:55:50 PM »
No problems here in San Diego airport and DFW (Dallas).  Vaped in the plane on American Airlines and no issues. 

Offline andtyler2

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 01:31:51 AM »
No problems here in San Diego airport and DFW (Dallas).  Vaped in the plane on American Airlines and no issues. 

Did you more than stealth vape?  If so, I'm surprised.  Are American flight attendants looking the other way, despite the AA ban on use of ecigs? 

from their web site:

http://http://www.aa.com/i18nForward.do?p=/travelInformation/duringFlight/onboardTechnology.jsp&anchorEvent=false
Devices that are not allowed to be activated at any time are those, including e-cigarettes, that could cause damage to equipment or diminish the design, function, or capability of the aircraft.

How in the world a PV could "diminish the design, function" [...huh? ...]  or "capability" of an aircraft is beyond me.  If that's not gibberish,, maybe someone  can enlighten me.

AT

Offline SmyVapor

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 02:54:57 AM »
Hey guys, took this info from a similar post of mine, sorry for the copy paste but good info....

Hope to clear some of this up for everyone.

So I just happen to work for Delta Airlines and believe it or not they actually have a written policy on "Smokeless Cigarettes". Now keep in mind this carries over for Delta connection carriers (Pinnacle/Mesaba/Compass/Skywest) as well as joint carriers (Northwest/KLM/Air France) and the majority of the policy is not the Airline itself it's TSA related as only certain "Approved electronic devices" can be used on board the aircraft.

Abstract:
Electronic, simulated smoking materials are prohibited on all Delta flights.

A device known as electronic cigarette or e-cigarette is available to the public.
E-cigarette may look like a cigarette, cigar or pipe.
The cigarette makes a mist that resembles normal cigarette smoke.  The mist dissipates quickly and is both odorless and colorless.
Due to continued instances of passengers attempting to smoke real cigarettes on board and the potential concern from passengers, the use of electronic, simulated smoking materials including cigarettes, pipes and cigars, is prohibited on all Delta flights.
While Delta / Delta Connection do not permit the use of electronic cigarettes on board, they are permitted in the passenger's carry-on luggage.

On a side note they do state that this does not apply to flights operated by other carriers such as a delta ticket with a delta flight number but the flight is operated by say Aeromexico or another carrier.
I actualy get questioned on this every now and then so had this info as a point of info.

As far as through TSA they have been advised that transport in carry on has no exceptions and is to fall within the normal carry on guidelines (Liquid and gel rules)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 07:57:50 AM by caz »

Offline mikedailing

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 11:15:32 AM »
Excellent Post and Information Mr. Smy.  Thanks for contributing to a really 'touchy' problem..  Information such as yours helps us all to relate and deal with whatever is at hand.. Especially with Air Carriers. 

Mike Dailing
Carlsbad, Calif.

P.s. (Cigar Man) :)
LIFE is BEAUTIFUL

Offline Minna (Pam)

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 06:57:57 PM »
My husband and I flew from Virginia to California to spend the Christmas Holidays with our daughter and her family. I usually have an awful time flying anywhere. A little claustrophobic and the thoughts of being without a cig for 10 to 12 hours would just about put me over the edge!  ???  I would have to take half a Valium on the way to the airport, another half a tab when I got on the plane and depending on flight/layover times at least another half tab before finally getting to my destination and running outside for a cig or two before I would even get my luggage claimed!   ::)

This was my first time flying with my SD and I've never had a better experience traveling by plane.  Not counting the problems with the plane........

In my purse/carry on, I had 2 SD's, two attys and two batteries. My two little 5ml bottles of liquid in a baggie with my other liquids. In my husbands carry on/computer bag, he had my four spare batteries and 2 chargers, spare attys and carts. In my checked luggage I had several 5ml bottles of liquid in a baggie that I stuffed in a boot.  (didn't want it to 'disappear')  I'm sure I over packed my supplies but, I figured with my luck, if one of something went bad, I had to have plenty of back up! We were gone for 10 days and I didn't want to be caught without being able to vape!  Heck, I even took a spare button for the SD!  Talk about being a worry wort!   :-[   Am I into these things or what!?   :D

The plane, surprisingly, wasn't very full so hubby and I had a whole row to ourselves and I 'stealth' vaped all the way to CA. I did make sure that the Flight Attendants didn't see my SD because I was pretty sure they would know what it was and tell me to put it away.  I didn't have the nerve to try it in the restroom.  Better to have them see me vaping and tell me to put it away than to set off the smoke detector in the restroom and have the whole plane load of people starting at me.    :-\

On the way back I was a little concerned about security after the recent attempt to blow up a plane had just happened. I had already told my husband that if they tried to take my SD's I wouldn't be getting on the plane with him!  There's too much money wrapped up in these to let them take them from me!  Yeah, I know I could just mail them to myself and get on the plane but, then I'd be without them! Not gonna happen!  Anyway, sailed through security without a blink and once again, hubby and I had the whole row to ourselves and I 'stealth' vaped all the way back to Virginia.  Not one bit of Valium or one frayed nerve this trip!  Not even with the delays because of equipment problems with both planes coming and going!   Spent a day in Disneyland while out there and vaped all through Disneyland. Didn't have to search for 'Smoking Areas'.   

Best flying experience I've ever had!  I just hope they never stop us from carrying this stuff in our carry ons.  I'll be back on the Valium!   :(

Offline spacecityazn

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 04:01:28 PM »

Did you more than stealth vape?  If so, I'm surprised.  Are American flight attendants looking the other way, despite the AA ban on use of ecigs? 

from their web site:

http://http://www.aa.com/i18nForward.do?p=/travelInformation/duringFlight/onboardTechnology.jsp&anchorEvent=false
Devices that are not allowed to be activated at any time are those, including e-cigarettes, that could cause damage to equipment or diminish the design, function, or capability of the aircraft.

How in the world a PV could "diminish the design, function" [...huh? ...]  or "capability" of an aircraft is beyond me.  If that's not gibberish,, maybe someone  can enlighten me.

Nope, not stealth vaping. Just good old fashioned #2 and my 501 in the bathroom....sorry for the image.... ;D

Offline mikedailing

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 02:42:00 AM »
Yeah.. Great Story Pam.  As SpaceCityAZ....... 

I did the SD to LA and back to San Diego  using Amtrak.. and had no problems.. I didn't 'stealth' it either.

Knowing "The Rules" on airlines now... I would be very Very VERY stealthy, if you know what I mean.  None the less.. I would still Vape. Or, Take the Train from LAX to Hong Kong !

Now, that would be a feat - wouldn't it LOL :)
LIFE is BEAUTIFUL

Offline mauisun

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 06:20:13 AM »
glad I found this thread. it sucks that already we have to worry about vaping in the bathroom. I guess that will be the way of it. I can manage to vape on the side in my seat with little to no "smoke" escaping but I should be able to vape normally without hiding. I already do in bars and restaurants with no problems other then a fw strays asking me where to get the stuff and what some of the rules are. Will be interesting to hear more stories of travellers in this thread to compare different airlines. seems to me they just plain don't want people relaxing on their flights when they know other smokers don't have vapes and will get antsy and pissed off that they don't have one too. perhaps the airlines should jump onboard and offer their own inflight vape systems for flights over 3 hours in length? they could make a boatlod of money I would think.

Offline mauisun

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 07:36:36 PM »
great video, loved it. looking forward to my next flight. when I hit the bar this weekend I will do a vape vid from the bar, smoking is totally banned here and the bar owner is a friend so this should be good :)

Offline ad.c

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 03:13:54 PM »
i took my titan charging case with carts made up, on a flight from manchester to turkey last week. no issues with it in my hand luggage with security on both sides, even at turkey, where i had to go through a security to get in to the airport. i even vaped in the toilet on both ways. i just held it in then blew it down my t-shirt so no where near the smoke detector. hope this helps

Offline Lunawolf

• Life's too short to vape with cheap crap ;-)
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 04:46:41 PM »
Ok, now I am curious...will vapor set off a smoke detector?  Off to try it!  ;)    OMG...it DOES.  ??? Course, I was standing on a chair and blowing directly into it  ;D and it took a few tries :P  Ok, sorry if I got a lil OT.

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity ~ E.A.Poe

Offline StevieD

• Elite Hero Member
  • My friends call me Modo
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 05:30:32 PM »
Lol Lunawolf, nothing like a good practical demonstration to show what happens... although it may depend on the type of smoke detector, vape will certainly activate an optical detector, but I don't know if it will affect an ionisation detector. I may have to try the next time I'm doing fire testing.

Offline Will

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 12:19:37 PM »
For what it's worth .... nic gum, the fail safe.

I have not flown yet since I started vaping, but I do regularly (fly and vape) and will soon. I work in airports, repair the xray machines the TSA uses to scan checked luggage. I plan to talk to them and see what guidance they are being given and will post when I do.

But, since I don't want people to freak out, I am going to take some nic gum with me. I have used it in the past and it is a great way to get through a long flight without the worry of vape-fears of any sort. I do think this subject will take some time for the public to get used to, we are bumping into paradigms about smoking so far.

Indeed, yesterday I saw a guy smoking, showed him my red (lol) Titan 510 and asked him if he had heard of e-cigs. His sharp retort was incredible, you would have thought I kicked his dog.

So, in the long run people will learn to NOT fear the vaper, but what we need (I think) is some actual studies that prove what we already know.

For what it's worth ...
I'm a vaper, you're a vaper, he's a vaper, she's a vaper, wouldn't you like to be a vaper too?

Offline prof beard

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 07:10:43 AM »
Just back from the US - I can now add LA International (LAX) and Atlanta to the list of airports my SD and vaping kit have negotiated without incident

Offline Ellen

• 2 years happily vaping
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 03:17:01 PM »
Thanks Prof,
Caz just forwarded this page to me,
Great help ;D
cheers
Ellen

Offline vapesonaplane

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 04:50:49 PM »
Just joined and this looks like a great forum. I fly two to three times a week out of New York City cross country. My e cig has been a godsend to make these trips more bearable. I carry two red Titan 510's in my computer bag alongside about 4 pens and a small flashlight. E liquid in my little TSA approved baggie. Charger is mixed in with about 4 others for cell phone, Ipod, etc.

Been through Denver, Seattle, Portland, Boise, LGA, JFK, CLE, SLC, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Shanghai, Beijing, Atlanta, Austin, MSP. I have never had so much as a bag check. These things do not look any different than a pen or laser pointer on scanner imho.

I vape very discreetly on plane, hold in my hit till i turn blue (maybe I am a little extreme, but perhaps that keeps most of any second hand nic vapor from affecting others). plus air on a plane is so dry any remaining mist dissipates very quickly. Have had a few seat mates look over but it just looks like i am chewing on a red pen, which i also usually have out writing notes anyway.

Offline mikedailing

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 12:06:30 AM »
Yep.. that's the Secret - Stealth Vape ! 

Just joined and this looks like a great forum. I fly two to three times a week out of New York City cross country. My e cig has been a godsend to make these trips more bearable. I carry two red Titan 510's in my computer bag alongside about 4 pens and a small flashlight. E liquid in my little TSA approved baggie. Charger is mixed in with about 4 others for cell phone, Ipod, etc.

Been through Denver, Seattle, Portland, Boise, LGA, JFK, CLE, SLC, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Shanghai, Beijing, Atlanta, Austin, MSP. I have never had so much as a bag check. These things do not look any different than a pen or laser pointer on scanner imho.

I vape very discreetly on plane, hold in my hit till i turn blue (maybe I am a little extreme, but perhaps that keeps most of any second hand nic vapor from affecting others). plus air on a plane is so dry any remaining mist dissipates very quickly. Have had a few seat mates look over but it just looks like i am chewing on a red pen, which i also usually have out writing notes anyway.

LIFE is BEAUTIFUL

Offline douglas

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2010, 03:25:42 PM »
I've flown a few times now, and occasionally the TSA have pulled me aside and asked me if I have batteries in my carry-on. I just showed them my kit and told them its an e-cig and they've said fine, no problem. By now, they must have seen it all. So far so good. And vaping on the plane is awesome. Very stealth-fully of course. If I'm sitting in an isle seat its a bit more difficult. But worst case I just put a blanket over my head like I'm taking a nap and vape away. lol. I wouldn't risk the bathroom. Alarm would suck. But standing in the back of the plane when no one is watching seems to work also. Just hold your breath a bit and no vapors really comes out anyway. I vape in theaters like that with no problems.
" border="0

Offline ghost

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 02:38:00 AM »
Thank you all for posting.  I am not planning on traveling by air anytime soon, but this is good wisdom for the future!

Offline Hoppy

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 03:25:58 AM »
As the last post was over a year ago... I was wondering if anybody had any recent experience traveling on Airlines.

caz

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 03:28:01 AM »

Offline cyborg

• Elite Member
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 06:15:10 AM »
Hi Gstyle.
Welcome to the forum.
Canít help with the airports.
Only wanted to say Hi.
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED Smiley" border="0

Unable to load the 'forum.totallywicked-eliquid.com_below' template.