Author Topic: Lithium batterys explained(ish)  (Read 32855 times)

Offline ddracer

Re: Lithium batterys explained(ish)
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2010, 01:05:12 PM »
Hi all,

This discussion is very interesting. My question is this: Do the lithium batteries have memory? What I have heard is some rechargeables have memory and that if you say for instance, have all you ecig batts dead, can you do like a half hour charge just to get your vape fix? Will this be a problem?  ???

Not as such memory effect was only really a problem on Ni-Cad's what would happen is the battery would run for so long then suddenly drop off. It was caused by part charging. The best way to avoid it happening was to run them flat before recharging. Lithium battries do degrade with use but this mainly happens in high C draw applications, eg. running ESC's for high speed motors etc.

Hope this helps.

Offline Tammy5332

« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2010, 05:25:53 AM »
Love the info

Offline Geth

« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2011, 10:22:10 AM »
I have a KR808d-1 style e-nic I use for backup. I have 3 of those batteries and 2 PCC's for them. Nice small battery but it doesn't take much time to deplete the battery. I use if for short trips out of the house or when I am doing a lot of physical activity in case it falls out of my pocket like when I'm roughousing with my young sons so I don't lose my favorite tornado tank. I can get a tornado tank battery to last me from waking till I go to sleep. The one reason I keep them around is these particular batteries have a full LIFETIME garantee. If a battery dies I just call the company, get an RMA number and then post it back to them and a free replacement is on it's way. I've had battery issues with then before and they sent me replacements and a SASE bubble mailer for my dead battery before I even shipped out the dead battery. It's a decent company BUT they ONLY sell the KR808D-1 style e-nic, no bottled juice , thread adapters, etc. I don't buy their products anymore but keep them around and refill the cartomizers with TW e-liquid. My only source for my e-cig hardware and supplies is TW for the past few months and I don't see any other suppliers with the discounts and specials , like the yo-yo promo and the weekly discounted items. Add to that the new lower price structure for atomizers, batteries, etc and I don't have any reason to go elsewhere for my supplies.

Offline b.dave911

« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »
nice work :)

Offline Void

« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
Simple Guidelines to Prolong Lithium-ion Batteries

Do not discharge Li-ion too low; charge more often.

A random or partial charge is fine. Li-ion does not need a full charge.

Limit the time the battery resides at 4.20/cell (full charge), especially if warm.

Moderate the charge current to between 0.5C and 0.8C for cobalt-based lithium-ion. Avoid ultra-fast charging and discharging.

If the charger allows, lower the charge voltage limit to prolong battery life.

Keep the battery cool. Move it away from heat-generating environments. Avoid hot cars and windowsills.

High heat and full state-of-charge, not cycling, cause short battery life laptops. (I assume this include other devices)

Source: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
Vaporized 140,89 into thin air.

Offline RichJr

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Hero Member
  • 😇
    • TW Forum Rules
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2011, 04:17:42 PM »
All correct info thanks for posting it.

I do everything with my iPhone. Odyssey all day baby ;D

Offline teatime

« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2011, 03:54:02 PM »
I was reading this thread last night and, oddly enough, there was some interesting lithium battery news today! Apparently, the University of Leeds is developing a gel lithium batt!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14852073

Offline Killjoy

• Friends don't let friends drip and drive
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2011, 08:45:42 PM »
Nifty.  I'll be curious to see what come of this research 8)

Offline terrier

« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2011, 07:33:54 AM »
better batterioes hopefully

Offline jeffj4873

« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2012, 01:22:07 PM »
Crossbow,
i'M IMPRESSED. I am a Technician by trade and your knowlege of those batteries is really good. Excellent graphs. I learned a couple of things here.

Offline CraigwSmith

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2012, 11:43:55 PM »
Great info on this thread.. I suppose by now everyones heard about the guy with the exploding e-cig battery in Florida or Alabama or something? What would cause something like that? I apologize if theres another thread about it but I didn't see one.

Offline Lettie22

• Paulette
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2012, 01:45:17 AM »
Great info on this thread.. I suppose by now everyones heard about the guy with the exploding e-cig battery in Florida or Alabama or something? What would cause something like that? I apologize if theres another thread about it but I didn't see one.

Yeah, a 3-page thread so far!

http://forum.totallywicked-eliquid.com/general-e-smoking-discussions/well-this-is-not-good-news/

Offline jediknight129

• urban airsofting tank user
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2012, 06:21:47 AM »
can I ask a question about lipos in a different context since people can explain them here?

Offline Kramsharp

« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2013, 02:10:51 PM »
Damn good post, and answered a few questions I had, keep up the good work

Offline christo930

« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2013, 10:18:32 PM »
I wonder why they are using Li-ion cells when Lithium polymer cells are so much better and not much more expensive. You can get a 65watt hour Lipo battery for laptops dirt cheap. In some cases, I've seen 65WH (or in that range) laptop batteries going for $30 including shipping! 

Stopping at 80% is usually a good thing because the amount of energy lost to heat and the heat generated go up with the state of charge and that significantly reduces the life expectancy of the cell. (BTW.. ALL of the e-cigs that I know of use a single cell battery). However, a good quality LI-ION cell should be able to get 500-1000 recharges and none of the batteries I used in the past came anywhere near that which was the biggest reason I stopped vaping. Also, LI-ION cells are able to discharge at high rates without too much fuss. Like I said in an earlier post, I have picked up Vaping again and I hope the batteries are better than 2 years ago (or around that, might be a little less or a little more).

I forget what it's called, but there is a free e-book available that goes into detail about all of the different types of battery chemistry and explains all the jargon and gives detailed explanations of how varies cells of varying chemistry work.

Chris

Offline RichJr

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Hero Member
  • 😇
    • TW Forum Rules
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2013, 06:48:27 AM »
You'll be happy to know the real Tornado (eGo) cells and Dura (Titan) are LiPo and always have been. ;)

Sounds to me you'd like an eVic (2,600mAh & 3,400mAh) or an e-lectron-S (2,100mAh).

The amount of charges you get from a LiIon cell is very dependent on heat and how long it's left fully charged or drained. 300-500 cycles and the capacity should be around 80%. As you near 1000 cycles the batter will only be able to hold about 60% the original charge.

I've been vaping a long time now and have found the amount of cycles is irrelevant anyway I just use a battery until it starts getting extra hot during charge which means its not taking a full charge and instead is generating heat. Then for a very small amount of money I buy a new battery and all is well again.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 07:37:18 AM by RichJr »

I do everything with my iPhone. Odyssey all day baby ;D

Unable to load the 'forum.totallywicked-eliquid.com_below' template.