Author Topic: Coke bath seems to have destroyed my atty - is that possible?  (Read 6671 times)

Offline luckyGirl

Coke bath seems to have destroyed my atty - is that possible?
« on: December 04, 2009, 10:37:15 PM »
Hi everyone,

So, this is the second atty that I tried putting through a coke bath, and just like the first one, after the coke bath, it seems dead.
I left the atty in coke overnight. Then I rinsed it in hot water. Then, I left it to dry for a day. When I tried using it - nothing happens. The battery works. The atty gets warm/hot. But it's not producing any vapor. Before the coke bath the atty was working ok, not great. After the bath, it stopped working completely.

Did I miss a step here? Has this every happened to you? Is there a way to fix it?

Please help. :(

thanks!
lucky
"It's not our gifts and talents that make us who we are, it's our choices"

Offline Larry

Re: Coke bath seems to have destroyed my atty - is that possible?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 11:23:59 PM »
I just rinse mine out then plug it in then light it up till I see the orange glow and that burns off the residue.

Offline gearheadnick

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 07:49:13 AM »
I had some Super attys that gave me problems after cleaning.  I had to prime them with at least 4 drops and work it a bit to get it going.  They all eventually came back to life.

Offline Jdale

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 11:33:25 AM »
I have completely stopped cleaning any attys, except for a blow through or an overnight drain. My success rate was pretty low, and if I managed to get one that started to work again, it only lasted for a maybe a day. Since multi packs are cheap, I would rather just stock up on some and pull a new one out when needed.

Offline luckyGirl

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 06:18:23 PM »
Thanks everyone for your great suggestions!

I did prime it, and it did seem to come back to live somewhat. When you say "just drain it" what do you mean by that?

thanks,
lucky

Offline Tigara

• THE ODYSSEY
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 08:55:18 PM »
I have completely stopped cleaning any attys, except for a blow through or an overnight drain. My success rate was pretty low, and if I managed to get one that started to work again, it only lasted for a maybe a day. Since multi packs are cheap, I would rather just stock up on some and pull a new one out when needed.
Same here!!  I went through the process of cleaning with denture cleaner. Now it is a lot easier just to blow and drain every night.  ;)

Offline luckyGirl

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 10:27:30 PM »
Great! thanks again! I will clean the atty as suggested.

Offline LittleRedDot

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 08:09:25 AM »
I think leaving it in the bath overnight is far too long. An atty only needs about 1/2 hour soak, hour at the most. And you shouldn't use coke because of the sugar, rather coke zero. And if the atty is getting hot then it is working as it should, and the issue is somewhere else. As others have suggested, I've started using denture cleaning tabs and I'm very happy with the results. I bought a box for $2 (US) and it had like 50 tabs in it. I just fill some tupperware with very hot water, drop in a tab or two, drop in my attys or whatever else, pop the lid on, and shake it up a bit. I let it sit for 15 min then shake it up again, then let it soak another 15 min. Then I take everything out and rinse very well with cool water, and overnight to drain/dry on a paper towel. Then I prime and go, and they're all working like new.

Offline magestorm

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 05:11:38 AM »
As a Coke Bath user, here's some helpful hints and tips-

1. DO NOT leave it in coke overnight.  I do it for 30 minutes to 3 hours.  I wouldn't leave an atty in this coke any longer than 4 hours.
2. LET THE COKE GO FLAT BEFORE USE.  It's not the carbonation that causes the action to work, it's the phosphoric acid.  Denture cleaners work because of citric acid.  Any kind of acid should help clear off any muck from the metal, but phosphoric and citric, while weak, is food grade safe.
3. Sugared or unsugared, that is the question.  So far, the one test I did with regular coke has not shown any appreciable difference.  I've been using diet and zero more for the fact it's easier for me to lay my hands on.  More testing will show more.
4.  Boil them in water for 20-60 minutes after soaking.  This is, I think, why it doesn't matter if sugared or unsugared is used.  The coke bath merely busts the muck loose, the boiling water finishes the job.
5. Allow to air dry, or not to allow air dry.  I've tested both of these, and I've found best results NOT allowing them to air dry.  The water acts like a primer, allowing the direct drip to get to the heating coil faster.  I usually blow out a little bit, getting the excess out, then drip in.
6. If the atty does not warm up, then the atty is dead.  Remember, these are not permanent things, and this process can eat away the metal.  Eventually these things do die.
7.  If the atty is warming up quickly, but you are not getting anything, STOP IMMEDIATELY!  Put more fluid in the atty, allow to soak in, then try again.  Just keeping on puffing an damage or ruin the atty.

And FYI, this is something i have been doing straight up, since i started in July, and STILL have working atomizers from my ORIGINAL starter kit.  As a matter of fact, the ONLY atomizer that has died on me has been from NON TOTALLY WICKED juice.  So i'm not sitting here blowing smoke up people's butts.

Unable to load the 'forum.totallywicked-eliquid.com_below' template.