Tornado Cartomiser – Tobacco High - July 2010
A few weeks back now, an envelope arrived from TW which I knew would contain a small bottle of liquid for sampling and reviewing. What I didn’t expect was to find an additional item in the package – a strange-looking lump of plastic, wrapped in polythene.
“What the ‘eck is that?” I said to myself. “Is it one of those carto – doohickey – atty – thingamabobs? (cue ‘Klunk’ from the ‘Dastardly & Muttley Show’). That’s it!! It’s a cartomiser”.
If like me, you’ve never seen one of these before in the flesh, it’s a shade under 2˝” long – including end caps - and ˝” in diameter, which fits on to a Tornado battery. The cartomiser supplied to me was black, so it seemed only fitting to grab hold of and attach a fully-charged black Tornado 1000mAh manual battery. Now with a total length of 5˝“, it really looked the part – especially with the top of the battery (the silver ring) running round it. Hmm, sophisticated, even………
So, how did I find the experience? I’ve given my thoughts on flavour, hit and vapour after around two hours of moderate to strong use…..Flavour / Taste
– From the draw, to the inhale, to the exhale there is a warm, slightly nutty, slightly woody taste which is very soothing with absolutely no harshness at all. I’m also picking-up what I can only describe as a mild coffee flavour in the mix. The aftertaste leaves a tiny bit of tingling on the tip of the tongue.
That coffee taste seems very similar to the PR Coffee, but without any of the dairy element. The overall flavour also reminds me of a stronger version of some pre-filled tobacco flavoured cartridges that I’ve consumed in the past. All in all, very pleasant….. 7.5/10 Throat Hit
– It’s pretty good and suits the flavour well. Even after more than a couple of hours use it’s still there and hasn’t wavered at all. … 8/10 Vapour Content
– Good amounts of reasonably thick vapour is produced, and that level is maintained even after two hours of moderate to strong use…. 7.5/10Diary
- Tue July 27, 11:00am
– Attach cartomiser to battery, let’s start chuffing….Tue July 27, 2:00pm
– Write-up notes of findings so far (see above), carry on vaping…….Tue July 27, 2:45pm
– Beginning to notice the flavour tailing-off slightly. Throat-hit still reasonable, vapour content still good.Tue July 27, 3:00pm
– Time to give the cartomiser a bit of a break, I think. The flavour appears to have dropped a little bit more, and there is a now a decrease in the throat-hit. However, the vapour is still pretty good but let’s have an hour away and see whether that returns any flavour and hit. Need something else to vape in the meantime. Ah, Sir Nick’s pre-mixed 36mg Mentholyptus , sitting right next to a 510LR attached to a smaller Tornado battery, all but 3’ away – that’ll do nicely….Tue July 27, 4:00pm
– Back on the cartomiser again, well, I must say I’m pleasantly surprised because not only has the flavour come back to almost its former glory, the throat-hit has returned with a vengeance (cough, splutter…) Wow, let’s see how long it lasts. I won’t cane it like I did for the first few hours but it will certainly get a few puffs on a regular basis……Tue July 27, 5:15pm
– Once again, flavour and throat-hit beginning to fade – and this time the reduction is quite sharp, vapour production is still fairly reasonable though. Time for dinner…..Tue July 27, 6:45pm
– Impossible to use now. No flavour, hit or vapour, everything has packed-up, but you can’t help but think that there is still life in the atty. Will try again first thing in the morning just to see if there is any response but somehow I doubt it.Wed July 28, 6:00am
– Two mediocre puffs and the cartomiser is history in its present form. In time though, I will definitely have a go a refilling with a couple of drops of liquid taken from a needle-tip dropper bottle but that, for me, is outside the scope of this review…..In Summary
– I’m impressed with the design, even right down to the flattened, concaved mouthpiece and not once did I feel that any juice would escape into my mouth. For the sheer convenience of not having to take various liquids out for a day-trip or a night out, if you’re a light vaper – and you’re happy to have only one flavour at your disposable, then you simply can’t go wrong with the cartomiser. For those of you, like me, who can do a good impersonation of a freight train then, for the small amount of room they take up, I’d recommend carrying a spare (or two) and a back-up battery – just to be on the safe side.
I like the idea behind this and I’ll definitely be adding a couple to ‘the stash' as it’s a useful piece of kit to have in an emergency although, in general, I’ll still be carrying a couple of bottles around with me whilst out and about as I like to have a choice. One final thing – I note that the cartomisers hold 2.5ml of liquid. Well, I was quite surprised that I’d gotten through that amount of juice in what was to me a short space of time. Perhaps I vape more than I realize - maybe it’s time to measure properly just how much I actually use on a daily basis.
So, we have 7.5 for the flavour, 8 for the hit, 7.5 for the vapour content – I’m going to add another category just for the cartomiser and that’s going to be for the idea and the convenience factor – which gets a healthy 9/10. So that gives us an overall score of…. . 8/10
Happy Vaping everyone…….